||The Islamic Republic of Iran
||26th February 2016
||National Consultative Assembly (The Iranian Majils)
- 285 single and multi-member seats various constituencies
- 5 single-member seats representing religious minorities
Assembly of Experts
- 88 seats
- The Assembly has the constitutional responsibility to appoint and dismiss the Supreme Leader
||The Iranian Legislative Elections use the Two-Round voting system.
The Majils serve four year terms, and the Assembly members serve for seven years.
- Right-wing political position.
- Principilists or Conservatives.
- “Livelihood, Security and Progress”.
- Formed from many traditional parties.
- Support for the Supreme Leader of Iran.
|Pervasive Coalition of Reformists
- Islamic/Progressive Liberalism.
- “Hope and Serenity, Economic Bloom”.
- Support Iranian reform towards greater freedom and democracy
- Supported the Reformist President, Khatami, who served from 1997-2005.
|Key Election Issues
- Although there are over 12,000 candidates for the various offices available for election, 5,000 were rejected as candidates by the unelected ‘Guardian Council’.
- The Assembly of Experts is likely to have to determine the Supreme Leader’s successor in this term, therefore it matters a great deal whether Conservatives or Moderates are more successful.
- Although the battle is between Conservatives and Reformists, the moderates have relatively small support in comparison the to the Principilists in terms of media-coverage and political organisations linked to the Reformists are either banned or heavily moderated by the existing political organisations.
- It is often said that whilst Reformists dominated the polls in previous elections, specifically between 1997-2005 (whilst Khatami was in the office of President), they having been slowly losing support in municipal elections and it is likely that the Conservatives will continue to dominate the polls at this election.
|Who can vote?
||Universal suffrage = Male/Female 18+
By TUBS – Own workThis vector graphics image was created with Adobe Illustrator.This file was uploaded with Commonist.This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this: World location map (W3).svg (by TUBS)., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15386437